'you don't have to be innocent all the time'

Think about your privilege ... you don't have to be right all the time, you don't have to be innocent all the time. I think that's one of the biggest problems that white people in America have, is this desire not to be blamed, this kind of visceral, emotional desire to be innocent. One of the privileges of whiteness is that; it's the sense that everyone is going to care about my psychological well being ... Maybe the best thing you can do as a white person is to say this isn't about me. I'm confused, I'm hurt, I don't understand, but all of those things are not relevant to solving this problem. It's not about me. I need to figure out who is working on the issue and who I can help, and put my own feelings aside. 

Grace Hale, in conversation with Sam Sanders.

*
A Cup of Jo lists eight ways to help; Reading My Tealeaves has a round-up of social justice reading for people young and old.